Vinyl records have made a remarkable comeback in recent years, captivating music lovers with their rich sound and tactile experience. To ensure the longevity and optimal playback of your vinyl collection, proper storage and regular cleaning are essential. In this blog post, we will provide you with valuable tips and techniques to help you store and clean your vinyl records like a pro.
Storing Your Vinyl Records
- Keep Them Vertical: Store your vinyl records in an upright position to prevent warping. Use sturdy record storage shelves or crates that provide ample support and prevent unnecessary pressure on the records. There are many options to store your records, here are a few suggestions: Lenco suitcase, Brickbox XL or Tylko. Soon, we will share more affordable and high-end vinyl storage recommendations with you.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Vinyl records are sensitive to temperature fluctuations. Store them in a cool and dry environment, away from direct sunlight and sources of heat. Excessive heat can cause warping, while high humidity may lead to mold growth.
- Protect with Sleeves: Invest in high-quality inner sleeves to shield your records from dust, scratches, and static. Opt for anti-static polyethylene or polypropylene sleeves, which offer superior protection and reduce static buildup.
- Outer Jackets or Sleeves: Consider using outer jackets or protective sleeves to safeguard the record covers. These additional layers shield the artwork from wear, tear, and sunlight exposure. At Vinylify we always include protective inner sleeves and plastic outer sleeves to your custom vinyl records.
Cleaning Your Vinyl Records
- Remove Surface Dust: Before playing a record, gently remove surface dust with a carbon fiber or velvet record brush. Start from the center and brush in a circular motion, gradually moving towards the outer edges. This helps prevent the dust from settling into the grooves during playback.
- Wet Cleaning: For a more thorough cleaning, consider using a vinyl record cleaning Apply a small amount to a microfiber cleaning cloth or a dedicated record cleaning brush. Gently wipe the record surface in a circular motion, following the grooves. Ensure the record is completely dry before playing it.
- Deep Cleaning: If you encounter stubborn stains or grime, a deep cleaning method may be necessary. There are various options available, including record cleaning machines or kits that utilize cleaning fluids and brushes to remove deeply embedded dirt. Follow the instructions provided with the chosen method to ensure proper usage. For example: Lenco cleaning brush, Big Fudge cleaning kit or Spin-clean washer.
- Handling the Record: When handling vinyl records, avoid touching the playing surface with your fingers. Hold the record by its edges or place your fingers on the record label to prevent oils and dirt from transferring to the grooves.
Proper storage and regular cleaning are vital for maintaining the quality and longevity of your vinyl records. We hope you find this small guide with tips and tricks helpful.
Written by: Vinylify